With your action plan set, it’s time to tackle a new month and a new topic. Something that I come across frequently when I meet new clients or run a workshop is the question of what content to create and how to create it. The idea of creating consistent, engaging and valuable content can be a little overwhelming (I know!), which is why I’m going to break it down into the simplest approach for the most authentic results and put together some content inspiration to get you started.
Your content should be about you
In many cases, and in most small businesses, you are your business. Your story is your brand’s story. Which is why your content should be about you. If you start with the values and beliefs that you wrote down when we looked at creating a business manifesto here, these wonderful insights into you and your brand will help guide your content and inspire content ideas.
Why start with you?
Because great content marketing is all about authenticity! In order to find your fellow kin and connect with a community of likeminded souls, you have to continually choose courage and let those walls come down to share that inner self to the digital world. The best part is, once you do that, you’ll attract the kind of people you want to attract and feel good along the journey.
Your content should always be inspired by your values and beliefs because this leads to the authentic you, online.
Next, do a content audit…
So many businesses don’t realise that they already have a wealth of content just waiting to be leveraged. Consider the content you already have.
- Website: Do you have a website? Do you have an About Me page, a blog or styled product imagery on your website?
- Email: Do you have an email list that you send newsletters to?
- Social media: What social media channels are you already on?
Make a list of all the content and channels you already make use of. Then think about how you could be using this content elsewhere. Could that styled product imagery be added to a beautiful Pinterest board? Have you promoted your blog posts on social media? There are so many ways to cross promote content to ensure you’re getting the most out of the time and effort you spend creating it. Don’t sell yourself short!
Coming up with new content ideas
This is where you revisit those values and beliefs – those things that make you, you and use them to guide your content themes. I’ve also put together a little list of different content types and ideas to help inspire.
- What are you an expert in? What could you teach others? This could be a step-by-step blog post, an email newsletter addition, social media content and more.
- Inspire others by sharing things that inspire you. Words, images, quotes – share them on social media, make a Pinterest board for them, use a great quote as a blog image.
- Curate or create your own short video content. With iMovie and a whole range of esy-to-use apps, it’s so simple to create your own video content. Upload to YouTube, Pinterest, Vimeo, Instagram and Vine.
- Share inspiring videos you found on TED, Buzzfeed, UpWorthy or Facebook across your different channels
- Promote an upcoming event that you’re attending or a part of, or just like the sound of! Workshops, seminars, product launches, cultural events…
- Invest in beautiful styled imagery of your product/service – this speaks to customers more than deep etched product imagery or no imagery at all
- Update your website and channels with all relevant details for products, services, events you’re participating in and anything else
This is just a start in the endless world of content ideas and inspiration! There are so many more ways to create authentic content and share it with your audience. And, I’ll never stop saying it – use a content calendar! Plan ahead so you don’t have to wake up and worry about your content on a daily basis. Plus, planning means your one step closer to achieving. Your free downloadable March content calendar is below – click on the image to download.
Got a content query? Ask it below. I can’t wait to see all the beautiful, authentic content you come up with!
Join me and Belinda Langler in Sydney on Monday 9 March 2015 or in Adelaide on Monday 16 March 2015, for a creative and interactive workshop for businesses, exploring social media and content planning ideas and challenges.
This day is particularly well suited to creative, curious, whole hearted entrepreneurial types who already have some social media happening, but want to feel more in control of how, when and why to use it.
At the end of the workshop you will walk away with a defined social media and content strategy, and an actionable plan. You’ll feel more purposeful, structured and clear about how to use social media in your business. And it will be fun! There will be coloured sharpies. There will be snacks. There will be lots of post it notes, and an interactive workbook to complete and start actioning straight away.
:: The new marketing paradigm in a social world
:: Content marketing defined
:: Defining customer personas
:: Uncovering your brand stories and content themes
:: Social media and content audit
:: Developing a content calendar
:: Tools for managing & measuring social media
:: Q&A session for specific questions
Numbers are limited to ensure each attendee has their specific needs catered for.